Saturday, April 9, 2011

Looking ahead.

So, I homeschool my oldest. It is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I truly love it. And,  barring any unforeseen circumstances, I am planning to educate all three of my children for all 12 of their school years. But, it is very scary to be the one selecting curriculum, deciding what kind of learner each child happens to be, finding ways around personality conflicts and a couple of minor learning difficulties. Then there was the frightening realization that homeschooling means that they are always home. ;) Honestly, it was a little alarming when my son reached 4 years old and I realized that I would need to find (or at least help him to learn to find) something constructive to do for the hours when we were not actively doing school work. But, we are all learning together. It is truly a beautiful thing to see my children interacting with one another. They have such an amazing relationship with one another and I am grateful for that. We have always been the Franklin family, but now I see that we are becoming THE FRANKLINS. We are a team.The children are fully on board and are happy to be team players. I am grateful that we have chosen this path. I have to remind myself how grateful I am because I am currently in full planning mode. Choosing curriculum, deciding on a homeschool covering, planning on how much of a break we will take this summer. During this time I have to remind myself to take a deep breath and relax. It is alright to plan and to look ahead, but it really is always best to take one day at a time. I know that I am fully capable of teaching my children. I know them better than anyone else does. I know I do not want them to have a "conveyor belt" or "one size fits all" education. But, I also know that I am going to make mistakes. Sometimes, I am going to choose the wrong books or maybe use the wrong method. But, I will continue on this path because I  see not only an incredible love my children have for one another, but the incredible love they have to learn. And, in my mind loving to learn is one of the most (if not the most) important thing in educating children. So, I will continue on this journey because I know it is the right one. I will continue to look ahead and try to plan but mostly I will just take one day at a time.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I fully admire you, girl. We considered homeschooling, but I def don't feel I would be a good Mom AND teacher. Praying your planning goes smoothly!

The Franklins said...

Thank you, sweet Jamie..although, I am pretty sure I don't deserve a bit of that admiration. Each Mama has to find her own way. We may have chosen different paths, but we both love our children and are doing what is best for them and for us. And, I definitely need all the prayer I can get. :)